Providing Safety, Comfort and Good Health
Full-time Registered Nurse and local owner—Jason Schmitz, RN—is an expert in all forms of dementia and in developing successful staff approaches to challenging behaviors.
Heartwood Senior Living offers a wide range of programs, services and accommodations to help residents feel comfortable and to help their families experience considerably less stress in their daily lives.
- Professional, trained staff 24 hours per day
- The highest caregiver staff-to-resident ratios in the Fox Valley
- Full spectrum ADL personal cares
- Innovative Programs
- Fresh, Flexible and Nutritious Dining
- Medication management to ensure each resident’s safety and well being
- Heartwood Homes ‘Activity Stimulation’ Programs (i.e. daily stretching & exercise, arts & crafts, humor therapy, current events, reminiscence programs, spiritual services, and re-motivation therapy).
- Oxygen, CPAP, BIPAP
- Wound care
- Catheter care
- Colostomy care
- Luxuriously decorated homes – comfortable, quality furnishings and artwork
- Private rooms with half bath, companion suites, and adjoining resident rooms
- Daily housekeeping and laundry services
- Beautiful outdoor patios amid fenced-in perennial gardens with walking paths
- Highly secure electronic doors and exits to prevent wandering
- Full service beauty / barber shop
- Regular church and prayer services
- Assistance with doctors appointments and transportation arrangements
Additional Healthcare and Rehabilitative Services
- In-house rehabilitative services, including physical, occupational, and speech therapies.
- Residents can remain living at Heartwood Homes while receiving skilled nursing and rehab therapy from professional, licensed staff. Our philosophy is to restore each resident as quickly as possible to his or her highest level of functioning and independence.
- In-house daily x-rays and laboratory work. There is no need for families to bring their loved ones into an emergency room or doctor’s office for minor laboratory tests or x-rays. Heartwood offers 24 hour access to these services.
Heartwood embraces the hospice philosophy of ensuring a resident’s right to dignity and comfort during the final phases of their lives. We work with preferred providers who have agreed to abide by healthcare’s best practices.
Hospice providers, in conjunction with Heartwood staff, tailor a resident- and family-centered hospice care program. Together, we make it possible for our residents who have end-of-life needs to receive high-quality hospice care while remaining at Heartwood.
Short Term Stays / Respite Care
Designed for stays of a few days to several months, our short term stays are perfect when family members are away on a vacation or business trip or require a short break from caring for a loved one in their lives. Short term stays are also an option for seniors who need additional assistance after a hospital visit or during an illness. Many of our permanent residents also begin their lives with us by evaluating our community with short term stays.
Prior to staying with us, we conduct an on-site assessment with the senior and their family members.
This assessment helps determine the appropriate services and proper care for each individual. Once a senior becomes a resident of Heartwood, they have access to all of the same services and accommodations that are afforded our full-time residents.
Regular visits from beloved pets and dog therapy clubs create smiles and laughter while offering an unconditional loving presence of a furry friend.
Whether it is the smell of fresh baked cookies, the lilacs of spring, or winter pine, natural fragrances can soothe, refresh and even help us reconnect with special memories. We offer therapeutic use of essential oils to help ease physical and emotional symptoms such as pain, nausea, fear, anxiety and depression.
Cooking our meals from scratch also wafts many comforting aromas in our homes… from fresh baked breads and bakery to a savory roast in the oven or a fresh vegetable soup on the stove.
Music weaves its own special pathway to our hearts. At Heartwood Homes, we carefully select music that nurtures the mind, body and spirit. We include soothing instrumental hymns, inspirational arrangements and favorites from the past—beloved songs from classic musicians—such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Armstrong, Elvis, and many others, from early morning to late evening.
We’ve learned a lot about the therapeutic value of music over the years and have shared a bit of this magic with you in an article entitled, “Music and Memory.”
…is therapeutically provided to relax and offer that sense of loving energy, safety, acceptance and belonging.